Rumsfeld:No Cover Up In Tillman Death
Posted by nytexan on August 1, 2007
- WASHINGTON (CNN) — Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Wednesday there was no evidence of a cover-up of the circumstances of Army Ranger Cpl. Pat Tillman’s death.
- “I know that I would not engage in a cover-up. I know that no one in the White House suggested such a thing to me,” Rumsfeld testified before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which is examining what senior Defense Department officials knew about Tillman’s death and when they knew it.
Right Rummy you would not engage in a cover up. What about Abu Ghraib? Oh thats right Abu Ghraib was the result of rogue privates.
- Rumsfeld testified that he didn’t recall precisely when he learned of Tillman’s death, or the possibility that it was the result of fratricide.
I guess Rummy suffers from Gonzo amnesia.
- There were flare-ups of temper, as when Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, pressed Rumsfeld about whether he discussed press strategies with the White House.
- “Was there a Department of Defense press strategy with respect to the war?” Kucinich asked.
- “If there was, it obviously wasn’t very good,” Rumsfeld responded.
- “Well you know, maybe it was very good, because you actually covered up the Tillman case for a while, you covered up the Jessica Lynch case, you covered up Abu Ghraib, so something was working for you — was there a strategy to do it, Mr. Rumsfeld?” Kucinich persisted.
- “Well, Congressman, the implication that — you said ‘you’ covered it up, that’s just false,” Rumsfeld answered testily. “You have nothing to base that on, you have not a scrap of evidence.”
Personally I think Rumsfeld is lying. If he tels the truth here it opens the door for many more questions and investigation.