Bi-Partisan Political Mischief – GOP Still Ahead
Posted by bosskitty on June 18, 2007
Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington, or CREW, has a new report called “Family Affair” which the watchdog group says is an examination of members of Congress and how they use their offices to their families’ financial benefit.by Frank James, Chicago Tribune The Swamp
According to the organization:
CREW decided to undertake the study in light of several well publicized cases of members of Congress using their positions to enrich their family members. CREW examined 337 members of the House over the 2002, 2004 and 2006 election cycles.
Highlights of the report include:
- 64 paid family members through their campaign committees or PACs (26 Democrats and 38 Republicans);
- 24 have relatives who lobby Congress (10 Democrats and 14 Republicans);
- 19 used their campaign committees or PACs to pay a family business or a business that employs a family member (9 Democrats and 10 Republicans);
- 17 used their campaign funds to make campaign contributions to relatives (11 Democrats and 6 Republicans);
- 15 used their positions to benefit a family member or a family member’s client (3 Democrats and 12 Republicans);
- At least 7 paid offspring who ranged from school-age to college-age (all Republicans)
Doesn’t it make you proud to be an American to know we are an equal opportunity despot regime. With politicians courting the deep pockets of corporations, it gives me a warm fuzzy to know that political family values still exist. Yes, these are America;s FAMILY VALUES! Fuzz, fuzz … ARRRrrrgh … HAIRBALLS! We are governed by HAIRBALLS!